Monday, April 30, 2012

Quick Mix Recipes

So, I've come across some genius ideas here lately and felt an urge to make and share them. Anything that makes life simpler I am all on board for. Over the next couple weeks I'll add some other homemade mixes I've tried also, all of these have made making supper or any meal a much easier task. I actually enjoy prepping and making food now that I have all these cheats!

ALL PURPOSE QUICK MIX
5 lb bag of flour (20 cups)
4 cups non-fat dry milk powder (or buttermilk powder)
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon cream of tartar
5 cups vegetable shortening
In a large bowl sift the dry ingredients together. With  blender (or your hands) add in shortening until mixture resembles cornmeal texture. Store in airtight container.
*Can also cut in half if you won't use all within a reasonable amount of time. I choose to cut it into 1/4's and that works best for us, a "family" of two!*
<<This is basically a biscuit mixture, can use it with basically any recipe that calls for biscuit mix>>

Recipes to Go With the ALL PURPOSE QUICK MIX:

Biscuits:
3 cups All Purpose Quick Mix
3/4 cup milk or water
Stir together until blended, drop dough by spoonfuls onto baking sheet. Bake in 450 degree oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.

Coffee Cake:
3 cups All Purpose Quick Mix
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup milk or water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Filling: 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup butter or margarine
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8" pan with cooking spray. Combine quick mix and sugar in medium bowl. Mix together eggs, milk and vanilla. Combine the liquid mixture with the dry mixture. Prepare filling separately. Add in butter to the cake mix until mixture is crumbling. Spread half of the mixture in the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle filling over the mixture. Top with the remaining cake mixture. Bake 40-50 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.


Self-Crusting Quiche:
3 eggs
1/3 cup All Purpse Quick Mix
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon onion salt
Salt & pepper for taste (or none if you're like me and prefer no pepper)
1/2-1 teaspoon of herb spices (thyme, parsley, oregano)
1 cup shredded cheese
1 cup finely chopped meat, sausage, bacon crumbles, or cooked veggies
Preheat oven to 325 degrees, coat a 9" pie tin with cooking spray, layer the meat and cheese in the bottom of the pan. Combine the rest of the ingredients in a mixer (love my Kitchenaid for stuff like this) and mix for about one minute or until completely mixed together. Pour mixture over the meat and cheese, bake 30-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. I then added some extra cheese about 5 minutes before it was ready for extra cheesy-ness! Yum!

(Ignore the heart shaped pan, my pie tins were obviously dirty at the time I made this)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are the most flattering form of letting me know you're reading along! In the blogging world these comments are bigger than "likes" and "retweets" and while you guys are all super awesome forgive me if it takes a couple days to get back to ya'll. I want to make sure I get back to each and every one of you! If you have a specific question by all means PLEASE email me (kelseyhomolka@hotmail.com). Plus, you'll get a faster response from me! Thankie again for reading along and don't forget to Keep On, Keepin Up!