Sunday, June 24, 2012

Farming on The Four's

We had a nice little .4" of rain on Friday which helped to keep some moisture in the ground. It seems like rain has perfect timing here lately which is a good thing! I didn't have time to get out and get pictures yesterday because we had a crew out there filming for a movie (long story) so I snapped some this morning instead! We're just about to hit the R stages of growth. If you look at the picture you can see we've got a ton of  trifoliolate leaves on both sides of the plant. If you look at the stock of the plant you'll see the little buds forming which will eventually turn into the BIG MONEY of the whole field, the bean pods. It's exciting to get up close and personal to the fields and really see the different stages of growth.



The bean field that was still an alfalfa field was re-sprayed and then re-planted this past week. Let's just hope that it will finally grow! From the driveway it looks like the alfalfa is finally giving way and letting the beans sprout up so perhaps we might just get lucky and get a bean crop out of the field this year. I don't blame the alfalfa for claiming it's territory, I guess if I was growing in the same place for the past seven years I'd fight back but like everything else in life, change can be a good thing. Unless of course you're a planner like me and freak out when change gets thrown in your face....

Corn is doing great. We drove by some fields down by Friend this weekend on the way to the wedding and there were already tassel's on some of the corn. I can't believe they're tasseling already? It seems like just a couple weeks ago we were planting corn! The wind we had last week did take it's effect on some fields but the stocks were strong enough to pull through and stood back up the following days.

Couldn't resist the temptation! This video is hilarious and I had to post it! How ironic that these boys are from Kansas?! Our back yard!! Have to listen to the words, they're pretty intelligent to come up with the lyrics. This video is going viral already! "I'm farming and I grow it"


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are the most flattering form of letting me know you're reading along! In the blogging world these comments are bigger than "likes" and "retweets" and while you guys are all super awesome forgive me if it takes a couple days to get back to ya'll. I want to make sure I get back to each and every one of you! If you have a specific question by all means PLEASE email me (kelseyhomolka@hotmail.com). Plus, you'll get a faster response from me! Thankie again for reading along and don't forget to Keep On, Keepin Up!