Monday, June 18, 2012

Here's How My Garden Grows!

I went out to my garden to discover my kohlrabi and peas are ready to be picked!

I picked the first of my kohlrabi a couple days ago and there's still a bunch of much smaller ones that I'll pick once they've grown more but I'm so excited to harvest some for the first year!! These last couple years I could never find seeds to plant so I've never had a crop of them. I also planted a later crop of kohlrabi that should be ready hear in a month or so, it's great getting two crops this summer! Oh I can't wait!

My peas are doing great, I've got a ton more waiting to be picked but I figured I'd pick them in batches that way I have enough time to eat some and let the rest continue growing. If anyone has any ideas on how to preserve peas I'd greatly appreciate recipes or ideas. That's one downfall of planting a garden. Everything is ready at once and then you're on veggie overload for a week or two.

All in all the garden is doing great even though I've neglected it for a couple weeks. I've still got a ton of veggies that will slowly be ripening here soon. Some of my other plants include:
  • Green Beans
  • Kohlrabi
  • Radishes (that were already picked)
  • Potatoes
  • Peas
  • Garlic (although I think this year's crop is a fail)
  • Tomatoes (all 12 plants)
  • Green Peppers (all 9 plants)
  • Jalapeno Pepper Plant
  • Zuccinni
  • Yellow Squash
  • Cucumbers
  • Onions
I'm very thankful my garden is doing much better this year than last year and I wish I had more time and energy to focus on my weeding skills. I'm hoping that Trav will try and till it one more time so I can get a little more straw laid down. I've been lucky that my watering skills are also improving. I'm realizing that if you really want a decent crop you need to water almost daily! This year's garden does look one hundred times better than last year's though!


**I'm a linker!! Check out where I've linked up to :)
TALU on Life on the Funny Farm

Farmchicks Farm Photo Friday

2 comments:

  1. One of my favorite snacks ... I pick up a bag EVERY time I hit our local farmer's market ... is fried peas! I always thought they were "dried" peas but noticed when I got my last bag that they said fried. I'm guessing you could toss them in the oven on a very low temp to dry/dehydrate like making veggie chips, etc. There's nothing like fresh peas straight out of the garden! Wish I had a green thumb! :( [#TALU]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried kohlrabi...how do you use it?

    TALU!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the most flattering form of letting me know you're reading along! In the blogging world these comments are bigger than "likes" and "retweets" and while you guys are all super awesome forgive me if it takes a couple days to get back to ya'll. I want to make sure I get back to each and every one of you! If you have a specific question by all means PLEASE email me (kelseyhomolka@hotmail.com). Plus, you'll get a faster response from me! Thankie again for reading along and don't forget to Keep On, Keepin Up!