Monday, July 9, 2012

Tabor Hall Plowing Bee

Travis is second in line with the old Allis and a straw hat. Behind him is a gorgeous Farmall ran by Jeremy Kohout!
Photo taken from Omaha World-Herald. To see more pictures click here.

So this past weekend was quite the adventure! We had the first annual Tabor Hall plowing bee! I've participated in plowing bee's for several years as we have one of our own coming up this next weekend but it was fun to see new faces and tractors that we don't normally see.

The day started off by plows dropping into the dry wheat field at 3pm sharp. There were exactly twenty-five tractor's that showed up for the event. Among those who attended there were many tractors of different ages and colors. The fifty acres they plowed was finished in less than two hours with the help of more than seventy-five plow blades running up and down the field.

While the day was hot warm, there were plenty of people who came out to see what it was like "back in the day" and to enjoy a Saturday just joining in fellowship and chit chatting. The temps reached near 90's and the crowds could have easily hit over 90 people in attendance. The old fashioned plowing bee's are far and in between anymore. The young kids (like myself) have never witnessed what those old junker two bottom plows did back in their prime. It's so wonderful to see these third and fourth generation farm boys out there plowing up the land like their ancestors did.

Tabor was kind enough to open their doors and grill out for the hungry folks who dared to brave the heat. They had hot dogs and hamburgers and if you were by the grilling crew you could also sample some fried up zucchini they had. The money raised that day went straight to the roof fund as they're in need of a new roof but with funds short they're needing all the donations and help they can get. Cold beverages were the perfect ending after watching the plows go up and down the field. It worked out perfectly that once the tractors were parked everyone gathered inside to talk about whose tractor had the most power, whose plow had the shiniest moldboards and the dying questions of whose tractor was the oldest.

I was kind of disappointed because I didn't get any pictures, the one shot I got of Travis was from the night before when we went out to "practice" plowing and fine tune the plow. Here's the one and only photo I took from the entire weekend. And sadly, no pictures of us together.... like usual.



Several local papers came out to report on the event and I was excited to see that Travis made the paper for the Omaha World-Herald. You can find the pictures they snapped here. The Lincoln Journal Star also made an appearance their article can be found here. They also wrote about the event beforehand can also be found here. It was rumored that the Seward Independant also made a visit out there but I have yet to see any articles written by them.

Here are some shots taken by others that I've asked if I could borrow to show off some of the other awesome tractor's that attended. If you know of more photos or people who have some shots please let me know! Would love to feature more photos from the event! I'll add more photos as I find them!

Plowin' yesterday
Photo by Jeremy Kohout

Ready to get plowed, in that new old fashioned way!
Photo by Jeremy Kohout

Photo by Omaha World-Herald

Photo by Omaha World-Herald

Photo by Omaha World-Herald

Photo by Lincoln Journal Star

Photo by Richard Douglass

Photo by Richard Douglass

I guess those red tractors should come with a horn!
Photo by Richard Douglass

Photo by Richard Douglass

Ed Stich and his trusty H
Photo by Richard Douglass

Photo by Richard Douglass

Brandie Schmitt plowing (Ken's daughter)
Photo by Ken Schmitt

Sidenote: The plowing bee this weekend, July 14th will be northeast of Wilber. Plows drop at one o'clock and there are about fifty acres that will be plowed! Stop on out for a burger or a cold one. Young and old all welcome!


**Here's one of the first linky parties I'm doing!! I'm excited to start doing these. Check it out :)


Farmchicks Farm Photo Friday






10 comments:

  1. I loved this! The vintage machinery in competition. My husband who restores farm equipment has to see this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! If you're in the area (of Nebraska) we're having another one this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, thanks for linking up with Rural Thursday! I love your pictures - I didn't even know there was such a thing. Fun times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kelsey! Great to meet up with another Nebraskan -- there aren't that many of us Nebraska bloggers out there. Lol.

    Great post -- how far is Wilbur from Blair?

    Anyway, thanks for sharing with Rural Thursdays! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy nice to see a fellow Nebraskan! It's about two hours from where you're at! It indeed is great to find an in-state buddy! I'm going to have to check you out sometime! And @Lisa yes we do have one every year. They're deff a fun thing to experience!! Thankful I have been able to witness it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post!!! Looks awfully warm and dusty... feels like I'm there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is amazing! I drove a tractor adapted for hand corn picking, many many years ago. Farm working is hard working. Urban me still knows.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stopping by to say Hi from the blog hop. Come visit sometime, tea is cold and no shoes are required. Kathy B. http://www.southernmadeintheshade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing at Your Sunday Best this week. xo

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the most flattering form of letting me know you're reading along! In the blogging world these comments are bigger than "likes" and "retweets" and while you guys are all super awesome forgive me if it takes a couple days to get back to ya'll. I want to make sure I get back to each and every one of you! If you have a specific question by all means PLEASE email me (kelseyhomolka@hotmail.com). Plus, you'll get a faster response from me! Thankie again for reading along and don't forget to Keep On, Keepin Up!