Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Wilber "Plow & Sow" Plowing Bee

So my farming on the four post is going to focus on something a little different. This time it will focus on an event that took place on the 14th! It was oh so fun, wish you could have made it out. ;)


This year marks the 6th Annual Plow and Sow and we have had more tractors than ever this year! This year we had over 29 tractors attend in assorted paint colors and sizes. According to our sign in sheet from when we passed out food that was how many tractors were written down along with their "owners." I was excited to experience two plowing bees in two weeks but this weeks plowing bee always seems more fun to go to. Of course I'm partial to this one because we typically host it but I also love being surrounded by close family and friends. I felt more at home with this weekends crew and of course the crew always puts on a great show.

This time around we plowed about 50 acres but then we proceeded to plow up some terraces because the boys didn't want to quit that early. I know we ordered over 60 hotdogs and hamburgers and we went through all of them and had to make an extra trip to town to get more so that means we had well over 100 people show up to help encourage the "plowers" to keep plowing on!

Here are some snapshots of the plowing bee that I took and some others took also. They're all great shots and it's so fun to see our little plowing bee grow from a team of ten to a team of twenty-one is less than six years!

On the road to our next field


My co-pilot's for the day, what cuties!

How many boys does it take to fix a plow?! 


Aaron Niederklein



Doug Oliva

Tim Lempka



Gene Niederklein

Mitch Fritz

Ken Schmit & his son Conner Schmit

Loren Coffey & Tim Warta

Jason Kotas

Nate Bartles

Robbie Slama


Kevin Homolka


Ben Kastanek


Here's my captain, he refuses to sit on the seat he's always gotta have his front paws up on the "dash"

Someone wanted a quick ride when I got home

Check out these old timers making sure that everything is under control!
Photo by Amber Koch
Oh, side note, that guy in the picture on the right? The one with the fisherman hat and the bud light can? That's my dad, love him to death. He's pretty much my idol and I have always looked up to him. Thanks for being such a great role model and instilling great things into my character. Oh, another note, see the one next to him? The one with the overalls and water, ya, he's my second dad. I guess you could say he kind of helped to shape me into a great person also! Both wonderful men and I swear sometimes they're together more than they're home with their wives. But that's what a friendship is all about!!

Photo by Amber Koch
Grandpa passing on the plowing tradition
Photo by Amber Koch

Enough time to relax with grandma before Ranger rides
Photo by Amber Koch

Three generations of Niederkleins plowing up the ground
Photo by Amber Koch

Photo by Amber Koch




Linking this post up to other blogs:

Farmchicks Farm Photo FridayBlissful and Domestic







20 comments:

  1. I love the 3 generations photo. Great pics - thanks so much for linking up with Rural Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh these are great photos. the David Brown brought back memories of one of our first tractors. We had to sell it to buy a new one with four wheel drive. Progress maybe but My Hero still misses it:) B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies! We too love Davey Brown, he'll forever keep a special place in our heart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful collection of photos to remember a special day.

    Thank you for sharing at Rural Thursdays, Kelsey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photo coverage of this community tradition. Neat idea to have a Plowing Bee. One of the communities in our area has an annual Threshing Bee. I have never been to it.

    Gotta love the Ranger, we use ours all the time. Much better than riding behind the Hubby on the 4-Wheeler.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh we LOVE our Ranger, when we're fixing fence etc it works better with the four wheeler on some of the rougher ground but this thing is amazing for play! We would love to have a thrashing bee but we don't have enough of them in our area :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH wow, never heard of something like this. Looks like a lot of fun! Aw love your relationship with your TWO dads ;) Loving the overalls haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet pics-looks like a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these pictures of family working together! I can smell the dirt just lookin at them (that's a good thing... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great neighborly tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a good time was had by all!! Thanks for stopping by...and for the words of encouragment about our little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey. I 'rejected' your ad on my blog through passionfruit because your button is already running on my page through passionfruit. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, call me crazy, but when I go onto Passion Fruit, it isn't showing me that I've got an ad on yours but when I go to your blog, it shows?!?!

      Delete
  13. I never knew there was such a thing as a plowing "bee". Very cool indeed and you get a lot done, too. Wonderful. Thanks for sharing that. Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a blast and we usually try to do at least one or two a summer. They're so fun to watch from the sidelines but the constant bumping around on the tractor isn't my fav...

      Delete
  14. Wow, that seems like it was a ton of fun! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an absolute blast! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  15. when I wa slittle my grandpa used to take me for rides on his tractor, it was one of my very fav. things.

    Coffee Beans and Bobby Pins

    Last day to enter the Mary Nichol Handbag Giveaway ($475 value)!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, looks like such a good time!!! I love that you were able to do this with family!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the most flattering form of letting me know you're reading along! In the blogging world these comments are bigger than "likes" and "retweets" and while you guys are all super awesome forgive me if it takes a couple days to get back to ya'll. I want to make sure I get back to each and every one of you! If you have a specific question by all means PLEASE email me (kelseyhomolka@hotmail.com). Plus, you'll get a faster response from me! Thankie again for reading along and don't forget to Keep On, Keepin Up!