Sunday, July 8, 2012

Zucchini Pie Recipe


So a neighbor insisted I needed to try her recipe for zucchini pie, I thought, lady you're nuts, zucchini and pie don't mix, but I being the kind neighbor I am took the time to follow the recipe and made what I thought would be a disaster. Little did I know, I would find a new love for zucchini and have something to use the darn things for other than just frying it! It tastes litterally like apple pie, and as long as I haven't told you it's zucchini you wouldn't know. Nope, you'd be surprised I've done it time and time again to people who think my apple pie tastes great. ;) I'll post pictures for it for now and then I'll end up posting the recipe on Monday when I have a little free time. Enjoy!

*I typically choose to pick a HUGE zucchini that's been hiding from me as you'll only need one zucchini but if you have smaller ones you might need more than one to make this recipe.

Zucchini Pie Recipe
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon butter
Dash of nutmeg
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 teaspoon cream of tarter
Dash of salt

1. Peel and cut lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. The slice into cuts like apples (or like my pictures you can choose to cube them)
2. Cook zucchini in small amount of water for ten minutes and drain excess water.
3. Combine together sugar, cinnamon, butter, nutmeg, lemon juice, flour, cream of tarter, and a dash of salt.
4. Add the mixture to the cooked zucchini and pour into unbaked pie shell (I typically cheat and use the store bought crust but you can make homemade crust if you'd like)
5. Combine toppings ingredients of butter, sugar and flour until crumbles form
6. Add crust mixture to top of pie and bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes






**Linking this post to a couple different linky parties!!**

TALU on Life on the Funny Farm

The Mandatory Mooch
Blissful and Domestic
SixSistersStuff.com

15 comments:

  1. That pie looks amazing!! I Can't wait until you post the recipe.

    Following you GFC

    ReplyDelete
  2. It truly is delicious! You'll be super surprised to learn it's simple and easy to make too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great. Looking forward to seeing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kelsey! Thanks so much for sharing this awesome recipe with us at Farm Fresh Friday! I have a feeling you are going to make a lot of people ZUCCHINI Fans!! I've loved zucchini bread for as long as I can remember and can not wait to try this pie out!! Hope to see you again next week at Farm Fresh Friday - I'm jumping over to join your followers now! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww wonderful! Thanks for following! I will try my best! I of course love linking to get myself out there. You're so creative and love your blog as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This look delicious!! I'd love to have you link this up to Tasty Thursdays on The Mandatory Mooch. It's a new linky party starting today. Hope to see you there. Thanks, Nichi
    http://mandatorymooch.blogspot.com/2012/07/tasty-thursdays-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious, what a great idea to use up that extra zucchini, I may have to give this one a try our whole family loves pie. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a neat way to use zucchini! I bet it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have one more large zucchini to use and this might be the recipe! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for linking up to Tasty Thursdays last week. Hope to see you again this week!!
    Nichi - The Mandatory Mooch

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great photos and recipe, Kelsey. Also, a very pretty blog. Here in the South, Zucchini Pie is a given every summer. I've tasted one that was made with half zucchini and half peaches and was surprisingly delicious. TALU-ho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy cow! Finally I've found someone (other than my neighbor) whose heard of zucchini pie!! Eeeek! I'm interested in the half peaches now! Better try it this summer :)

      Delete
  12. Hmmm, I don't think I've ever heard of Zucchini Pie, but you now have me very curious, especially about the texture once it's baked??? [#TALU]

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yum!!! Where were you and this recipe about a month ago when I had the absolute HUGEST zucchini ever :o)
    Thank you for sharing this! I am following you now through Tilly's Nest's Down Home Blog Hop :o) Hope you get a chance to come by my place too.

    Blessings & Aloha!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the most flattering form of letting me know you're reading along! In the blogging world these comments are bigger than "likes" and "retweets" and while you guys are all super awesome forgive me if it takes a couple days to get back to ya'll. I want to make sure I get back to each and every one of you! If you have a specific question by all means PLEASE email me (kelseyhomolka@hotmail.com). Plus, you'll get a faster response from me! Thankie again for reading along and don't forget to Keep On, Keepin Up!