Monday, August 27, 2012

Nebraska State Fair

What an experience it was to be able to play at the Nebraska State Fair with the Alumni Band! It was so neat to see all the familiar faces show up and play. We always have fun together with our small little group of
travelers but to see 79 attend made us sound HUGE!

We got there just as they started playing their first song at the bandstand area and so we jumped in to play a couple numbers. Another Czech band showed up so us Alumni members set our instruments down so we could dance a couple polka's then picked our instruments to finish off with a couple songs. After the short little burst of playing we walked down to the beer garden, had a few drinks and played a song or two for the Budweiser crew. We headed over to the beef barn bar and played a song or two for them also. Then, it was parade time! We grabbed our flags and walked over to line-up. We were kind of excited to play in a parade and hearing our band play a few numbers beforehand helped to pep us up even more! It was misty the whole day but that didn't dampen our spirits any. The parade was so much fun! We ended up heading back to the beef barn bar after the parade for a song or two and a couple drinks then we headed home.

I think my favorite part of our traveling band is my fellow "Bohemian Stooges" I love our little inside joke and the fact that we have Randy in on our group is even better! He makes it so much fun for us, we love him! I'm so thankful I have had the opportunity to use my trumpeting (if that's even a word) and flag skills after I left Wilber-Clatonia School systems. I hated band in school but now it's a great excuse to get together with other nerds and play while making life long memories with people I otherwise, would have never got to know.

"Czech" out these photos of us! We look awesome! Oh, and did I mention we were on the news?! Here's a link to the news clip, it's on 10/11 News!! We actually made a news clip!! How exciting for us :)

Here's the "Bohemian Stooges"
Larry (Shelby), Curly (Randy), & Moe (me)




Posed "Family Photo" hehe

Here's our bag full of instruments that we carried around

Photo by Steve Talarico

Look at those flaggers go!
Photo by Kim Sasek

The trumpeteers doing their thing
Photo by Kim Sasek

I'm linking this post up to:

Blissful and Domestic

2 comments:

  1. This looked like so much fun! I used to be in the color guard in HS, and those were some of the best memories of my life!
    Thanks for linking this up with the TALU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fact that you didn't really enjoy band in school, but now playing the trumpet has opened up a whole new world for you. Thanks for sharing this story. TALU

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the most flattering form of letting me know you're reading along! In the blogging world these comments are bigger than "likes" and "retweets" and while you guys are all super awesome forgive me if it takes a couple days to get back to ya'll. I want to make sure I get back to each and every one of you! If you have a specific question by all means PLEASE email me (kelseyhomolka@hotmail.com). Plus, you'll get a faster response from me! Thankie again for reading along and don't forget to Keep On, Keepin Up!