Thursday, September 6, 2012

Harvest Has Officially Begun

Yes, it's true, Nerud Harvest 2012 has officially begun. That means sleepless nights spent in combines, tractors and semi-trucks. I'm excited and annoyed all at the same time, it's like a special month long holiday where all we do is work work work. At first you are excited with anticipation and then half way through you're so tired of it and wanting it to end, then once it's done you look back and say wow, I miss it. Such a roller coaster of emotions all wrapped up into such a small time period each year!

Mark this day down in history as like every other thing this season this has been the earliest we've ever combined. I can remember previous years no one is really combining come Husker Harvest Days but this year is the exception again. Let's hope next year we're back to normal, normal temps, normal planting season, normal raining schedule, normal irrigating, normal harvesting season.... I just want it to be normal again!

Here's a collection of shots from the first day, oh how much fun it is, see us smiling?! Mark my words, by the end of harvest we won't have such huge grins on our faces, we'll both probably be tired and crabby.


The yields are showing anywhere from 23 to 58 depending on the spot we are in the field. To put into perspective just how bad of a year we're having Travis said last year when they harvested this field it was their worst bu/ac field and it was yielding about 100 bu/ac. This year it's harvest about 30 (yes the picture says 36 but that was only half way through the good part of the field) so I'm really hoping that the rest of our fields will do much better than this! 

Look at the close-up picture of the corn, see how tiny those kernels are?! Those look like popcorn compared to real yellow corn that we normally pick. Also, see the stash of snacks, we've got to find plenty of healthy food for us to snack on while sitting in that combine all day! And we couldn't forget my camo blankie, Travis like's it freezing in there so I typically need something to keep my warm.

We did pull out one semi but we don't really have the need to pull out both quite yet. When we're in full swing we'll have both semi's and both tractors and grain carts out working. Since we're only filling up a semi and the grain cart a day the nights usually aren't too late. Travis is usually done combining by nine or so right now. 

I love harvest and all things fall. This season is the best and it brings us into the Christmas season (my second favorite holiday, next to Czech Days of course). I anticipate big comfy sweaters, mocha lattes, rich vibrant earthy colors, scarves, cool weather, leaves changing, apple cider, fuzzy blankets, harvesting and pumpkins year round and I'm so thankful that this season is quickly approaching us! Let's just hope it sticks around for awhile before the cold weather and snow hit us.

I'm sure you'll hear updates on the Farming On The Four's about how our harvest is going, but until then, I'm wishing everyone a: 

Linking up to:


10 comments:

  1. Everything's early here too...we chopped corn silage in the middle of August, instead of the last week of the month like we usually do. Fifth cutting of hay is done too...it's been a crazy, crazy year all around. Hope your yield surprises you in a good way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck with harvest, Kelsey and crew! Be safe while bringing in the harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering how my Nebraska friends were faring with their yields. I hope you all will be fine -- this was a terrible year for farmers. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. That does seem like a lot of work. I agree with Nancy, a hard year for farmers.

    http://theapels.blogspot.com/2012/09/something-old-string-holder.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does sound like some tough work. Hope all goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Be safe and I hope your harvest is a good one.It has been one heck of a year for us farmers but we will survive we always do. Enjoy the time together in that combine:) B

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for sharing at Rural Thursdays this week, Kelsey. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. You really described harvest well! We are still in the anticipation phase as the soybeans are slowly turning and the corn was picked over a month ago. Have a safe harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good times...I work for a custom harvesting company and I'm already complaining (and it's only been about a month since we started harvesting corn). Great pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great harvest photos...thanks so much for sharing at Farm photo Friday!!! :) Happy Harvest.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the most flattering form of letting me know you're reading along! In the blogging world these comments are bigger than "likes" and "retweets" and while you guys are all super awesome forgive me if it takes a couple days to get back to ya'll. I want to make sure I get back to each and every one of you! If you have a specific question by all means PLEASE email me (kelseyhomolka@hotmail.com). Plus, you'll get a faster response from me! Thankie again for reading along and don't forget to Keep On, Keepin Up!