Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Patriot Day


PATRIOT DAYIn the United States, Patriot Day occurs on September 11 of each year, designated in memory of the 2,977 killed in the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. Initially, the day was called the Prayer and Remembrance for the Victims of the Terrorist Attacks on September 11, 2001. When the new name was proposed, it received opposition from Massachusetts, which already had a Patriots' DayU.S. House of Representatives Joint Resolution 71 was approved by a vote of 407–0 on October 25, 2001. It requested that the President designate September 11 of each year as "Patriot Day". President George W. Bush signed the resolution into law on December 18, 2001. It is a discretionary day of remembrance. On September 4, 2002, President Bush used his authority created by the resolution and proclaimed September 11, 2002 as Patriot Day. On this day, the President requests that the American flag be flown at half-staff at individual American homes, at the White House, and on all U.S. government buildings and establishments, home and abroad. The President also asks Americans to observe a moment of silence beginning at 8:46 A.M., the time the first plane struck the North Tower of the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001. (source)

Today marks another special day, on this day eleven years ago terrorists struck the World Trade Centers.  September 11th will always hold a place in my heart when time stopped and the US sat in terror not knowing what was happening. No can can ever repay the military members, police squads or rescue worker for the work they've served and I can never put into words my gratitude for all you've done for me and my country. I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart and dedicate my post to all those who have served and will choose to serve our country in the future. Today, Sept. 11, will be a day I will remember the rest of my life and will say an extra special prayer for the families and friends who have lost loved ones. On that horrific day eleven years ago, I can remember sitting in sixth grade in Mr. Newmyer's class with my fellow classmates like it was yesterday, we were all in a confused state of mind questioning what will happen to us and our families and wondering if the small town of Wilber is a safe place for us to be. Please remember to hug your family and thank the Lord for giving you this day. Some people aren't as lucky as us and have lost their lives earlier than planned. 


This video really touched my heart. Gorgeous tribute to this day in history. The one scene where they have a picture of people carrying a person hunched over in a chair really tugged at the tears. (At 1:47 in the movie) Looking back it's funny how ten years ago we were watching these events unfold live but now it is considered a part of history and schools are including this information into lesson plans and their curriculum. I guess I never considered an aspect of my life I lived through to be a part of history. (does this mean I'm getting old!?)

I saw this and I imediately fell in love with it. What a perfect prayer to use on this day in remember of September 11th.

Dear Heavenly Father, 

Today is a difficult day. The memories are painful and some of the wounds I fear may never heal. Yet I pray you will help me to go on living for truth, firm in my hope of your salvation. May I live for you, Lord, and by doing so, be an example to my friends and family. I pray, just like Jesus, I may learn obedience through these things that I have suffered. Help me not to question why, yet even if I do, give me courage to continue to trust you. Help me take the comfort and strength you've poured into my life and use it to comfort and strengthen others who need hope.

I pray I might become a better person and help make the world a better place because of this terrible event. Thank you for the heroes that gave so sacrificially on September 11. Help me to remember their courage and learn from them. I want my life to be worthy of you Lord, so make of it what you desire, and use me to fulfill your purposes. May the evil of that day cause me and my family to work harder to do good on this earth and to bring your light into the dark places. Help me to never stop believing in you and living my life for you.

Lord, heal all those who were crushed and broken on that day. May they come to experience your presence and know your peace. 

Amen.

Spine chilling eh?! I think this is a constant reminder that no matter how indestructible we as a country think we are we are still vulnerable. It's a constant reminder that we need to thank the Lord for giving us this precious gift of life and live each day to it's fullest. I really think this week my Thankful Thursday's will reflect my gratitude for the simple things in life. My family, my friends, Travis all of the things I can (and do) take for granted on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are the most flattering form of letting me know you're reading along! In the blogging world these comments are bigger than "likes" and "retweets" and while you guys are all super awesome forgive me if it takes a couple days to get back to ya'll. I want to make sure I get back to each and every one of you! If you have a specific question by all means PLEASE email me (kelseyhomolka@hotmail.com). Plus, you'll get a faster response from me! Thankie again for reading along and don't forget to Keep On, Keepin Up!