Monday, September 10, 2012

Suicide Awareness Day


I promise to back-track and post things that I've missed over the past couple days but I want to bring awareness to those who do not realize that today, September 10th, is Suicide Prevention/Awareness Day. I hold this day near and dear to my heart because I have personally lost a close friend due to them taking their own life. Please if you know of someone suffering don't be afraid to stand up and help them. Thinking about you today Winky. I know me along with many others wish we could have done something to help prevent you from traveling to Heaven. We love and miss you more than you can imagine! I know someday we will all be reunited again but until then, I will continue to think of you and wear yellow of you on Sept. 10th in honor of you! It still seems unreal when I think about how life unfolded during the days following your death. Also, a happy early birthday to you Wink(ers)! Sept. 13th is your birthday, it also falls under suicide prevention week. You will always hold a special place in my heart. I love you!!

Some quick facts about suicide:
  • Many who attempt suicide never seek professional care.
  • There are twice as many deaths due to suicide than HIV/AIDS.
  • Between 1952 and 1995, suicide in young adults nearly tripled.
  • Over half of all suicides occur in adult men, ages 25-65.
  • Suicide takes the lives of nearly 30,000 Americans every year.
  • Many who attempt suicide never seek professional care.
  • Suicide takes the lives of nearly 30,000 Americans every year.
  • There are twice as many deaths due to suicide than HIV/AIDS.
  • Between 1952 and 1995, suicide in young adults nearly tripled.
  • Over half of all suicides occur in adult men, ages 25-65.
  • There are an estimated 8 to 25 attempted suicides to 1 completion.
  • 1 in 65,000 children ages 10 to 14 commit suicide each year.
  • Substance abuse is a risk factor for suicide.
  • Suicide is the 11th leading cause of death in the U.S. (homicide is 15th). (CDC)
  • Suicide is the 3rd leading cause of death for 15- to 24-year-old Americans. (CDC)
  • It is estimated that there are at least 4.5 million survivors in this country. (AAS)
  • There are four male suicides for every female suicide. (CDC, AAS)
These figures really hit home and make me want to help spread awareness of how people can prevent this. To learn more about Suicide Prevention please visit SAVE (Suicide Awareness Voices of Education) where you can discover more about warning signs, preventive measures and even about ways to help those who are suffering from depression.

Please, if for any reason you suspect someone of having suicidal thoughts or you yourself feel depressed and lost seek help. There is no shame in trying to cope with emotions and we would much rather see you seek help then have to attend a funeral. Suicide is 100% preventable and there are many people out there willing to help you, all you need to do is reach out for us.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this Kelsey. I've lost 2 close friends due to suicide. Awareness is everything. If someone is acting different...don't be afraid to figure out why. I hope all of the people in my life know they're not alone and I'm here for them if they ever need me. <3 RIP Caleb & Tim

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the most flattering form of letting me know you're reading along! In the blogging world these comments are bigger than "likes" and "retweets" and while you guys are all super awesome forgive me if it takes a couple days to get back to ya'll. I want to make sure I get back to each and every one of you! If you have a specific question by all means PLEASE email me (kelseyhomolka@hotmail.com). Plus, you'll get a faster response from me! Thankie again for reading along and don't forget to Keep On, Keepin Up!