Friday, January 4, 2013

Amish White Bread


This was part of a Christmas present from one of my favorite cousins. (shh, don't tell the rest of the fam) I'm constantly asking her for recipes of things she making so for Christmas she made me a book with all of her fav's inside. I loved it! I swear homemade gifts are the best and they deff come from the heart. Here's the recipe for you all to enjoy, I don't have the original owner so I can't give anyone but Tina kudos for it.

Ingredients:
-2 cups warm water
-2/3 cup white sugar
-1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
-1 1/2 teaspoons salt
-1/4 cup vegetable oil
-5 to 6 cups of white flour

Directions:
1. In a large bowl dissolve the sugar in warm water. Stir in yeast and let sit. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam. *I had to put mine on top of our vent, Nebraska winters get a little chilly and our old farm house is a tid drafty from time to time*
2. Mix salt and oil into the mixture. Then, slowly add one cup of flour at a time until a dough forms. I used my KitchenAid with my dough hook for this and it worked great, just make sure you follow the one cup at a time rule, if you add too much flour right away it'll  all fly out of your mixer and you'll have a big mess! Pull out of mixer and knead with your hands a couple more times then oil bowl and place "ball" of dough back into the bowl. Cover with damp cloth and allow to rise until doubled in size, about one hour.
3. Punch dough down. Knead with hands for a few minutes and split into two loafs if you'd like two smaller loafs. Shape into loaf's and place into a oiled 9" X 5" loaf pan. Allow to rise again for another thirty minutes or until the dough has risen about one inch.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes or until top is golden brown. Mine had a little blow-out on one side so next time I'm going to try a bigger pan or split it like the recipe suggests!

*Note, you can change out the type of flour you choose to what works for you. The actual recipe called for bread flour but I used just regular flour instead. Another great idea would be to use wheat flour if you're a huge wheat fan.

Happy baking, the bread turns out great I promise! It tastes exceptional warm and also works great for a quick breakfast with jam on it. I'm even considering using it full time instead of buying bread. Remember how  one of my goals was to make more and buy less? This recipe will for sure make the books for this goal.


Linking Up To:
PIN MEme

18 comments:

  1. This sounds yum! I too am thinking about trying to make homemade bread more. I used to make it a lot but haven't for a long time. I may need to start up again! I'll be pinning this one...greetings from Farmgirl Friday. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how awesome! :) Yes, this is a great starter bread, there's just something in it that makes it so yummy! It's a little more dense than what I'd like so I'm going to find a way to tweak it a little bit!

      Delete
  2. This looks utterly delicious! I am a huge bread fan. Nothing better than warm bread fresh out of the oven! I haven't made a loaf of bread in so long. I need to get back to that!

    Visiting from Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! Try it out, it's actually quite a simple recipe! :)

      Delete
  3. Your photo of it looks like it turned out perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just really good at knowing which angle to shoot at I suppose ;)

      Delete
  4. Mmm this looks so good! I bet it smelled amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It of course smells yummy! Best part, tasting it right out of the oven :)

      Delete
  5. You're making me hungry! It looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! You'll have to try it out, super easy I promise!

      Delete
  6. This is great. I have been wanting to try a new bread recipe. We are wheat bread fans but sometimes a healthy white bread just hits the spot. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Works like a charm! Just add wheat flour instead!! My cousin said she uses this recipe with wheat all the time and enjoy it. We just didn't have any wheat flour on hand so that's why I used white.

      Delete
  7. ughh, that looks so good! I love homemade bread, I just don't NEED homemade bread :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's super yummy, and cheaper than store bought of course ;)

      Delete
  8. Love homemade bread! Yum yum! Thanks for the share! Pinning this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Anything breads in my eyes are yummy! Carbs!!

      Delete

Comments are the most flattering form of letting me know you're reading along! In the blogging world these comments are bigger than "likes" and "retweets" and while you guys are all super awesome forgive me if it takes a couple days to get back to ya'll. I want to make sure I get back to each and every one of you! If you have a specific question by all means PLEASE email me (kelseyhomolka@hotmail.com). Plus, you'll get a faster response from me! Thankie again for reading along and don't forget to Keep On, Keepin Up!