Monday, January 14, 2013

Farming On The Four's

SURPRISE!! I've got a new post for you guys :)

About a week ago we were grinding hay to feed to our ever-hungry cows and I noticed that things got a little dusty. Like super dusty! Check out this photo I snapped of the boys while they were working.

















So do you believe me now? Super dusty and gross right! The worst part was that it was on the southwest side fo the house and the wind was blowing it towards the entire yard.

We usually grind hay to supplement the cattle in the summer along with feeding bales and make a giant silage pile in hopes we'll stock up on enough food to last them through the winter.  This year the decided to grind about 60 large round bales.

I kid you not, that loose hay smelled kind of good and got me stir crazy in anticipation for summer again but it sure caused a lot of unwanted dust and dirtiness on the rest of the farm. We joked that we have dust snow instead because it was so dirty. Just imagine how gross and nasty the actual dust bowl was!

So while Dan was scurrying around in his big Case loader picking up bales I sat in my cozy heated seat Tahoe snapping pictures. He always looks at me funny when I pull my camera out but he didn't complain about getting the harvest book for Christmas. I'm hoping to use all my photos from the year to re-create another neat book like that for him this next Christmas.

Here's another shot, this is outside the back door window looking towards where they were grinding the hay. You cannot see anything!


After they finished up I decided to go outside and attempt my hand at some artsy photos, here's what you get. It's just a snow bank by the house but it's covered in dust and I thought the bins in the background kind of added a "country" touch to it. Not amazing I know but I still think it looks really neat.

And here is the end result of the two piles side by side after the dust settled. See the cow having no interest in me, ya it usually happens that way. They don't care about me unless I've got feed in my hand. We usually feed in the mornings and sometimes at night depending on if we expect a snowstorm or other conditions to hit overnight. Also, if we know we're busy the next morning we'll usually feed at night just to save on time the next morning. Works great, now if only I could find a way to make my meals the night before instead of hustling around frantically trying to make something to eat...



Linking Up To:
Farmchicks Farm Photo FridayThe Chicken Chick

5 comments:

  1. Cool! I enjoy your farming posts. I think it's so interesting. I also like the idea of a harvest book. Those will be fun to look through as time passes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The harvest book was a hit last year I cannot wait to make another one! You, the one who finds it fun to learn about ag, is the reason I continue these posts :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Aw shucks, you're such a sweetie! I'm still brand new to my camera and just learning how to snap some pretty shots!!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!



    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the most flattering form of letting me know you're reading along! In the blogging world these comments are bigger than "likes" and "retweets" and while you guys are all super awesome forgive me if it takes a couple days to get back to ya'll. I want to make sure I get back to each and every one of you! If you have a specific question by all means PLEASE email me (kelseyhomolka@hotmail.com). Plus, you'll get a faster response from me! Thankie again for reading along and don't forget to Keep On, Keepin Up!