Thursday, January 24, 2013

Farming On The Four's

We dropped our first official calf of the spring calving season on Sunday, January 20th! You know what that means, babies are coming to the farm! Ohh, I love calving season, not as much as harvest, but calving is right up in there. Seeing a cow carry around their little babe, allowing it to grow inside her for 283 days until it is just perfect is one of God's great gifts and is so magical. Once the lil babies are older they are so fun to watch jump around, chase, climb poo piles and play with each other. 

Of course, it's a little early (and cold) in my eyes to be calving but mother nature told the mamma's its time to drop those babes. Travis is such a trooper, when it's time to calve you've gotta watch the momma's and make sure nothing goes wrong when she's getting ready to have her baby. Which means, you'll be checking cows every couple hours, even throughout the night. Yesterday evening Travis checked and another baby decided to join us, so we've got about 20 left to calve, doesn't seem like too many but we fall calf and have some spring calves. So, we're spreading out the babies through the year. And it's easier to keep track of whose families are whose, Travis' cow's are bred to calve in fall, Dan's (Trav's dad) cattle calve in spring (now). Pairs stay in separate places and no one gets mixed up!

It's always a fun little game to name the first bucket calf of the season, last year the first spring calf I named Eugene, he was a cute little bug! The picture above is of him, he was a bit older as you can tell by the t-shirt and green grass but I still loved him! This past fall, the first bottle calf I named Dolly, if you know me, you'd know her last name is Parton... You can read more about little miss Dolly P on this post. Oh and the second bottle calf from fall, named him Dwight, take a guess on his last name. (starts with a Y and I went to his concert earlier this year)

Check out our fall calves and their mamma's  Since it was cold we laid out some new straw for them, and they nicely laid in a straight line right where we left the straw. Kind of silly to see all the families out there cuddled into a nice straight line! So, around forty families didn't all fit into that little row but the ones who did were super glad we gave them some warmth and bedding to rest on.


The weather right now downright stinks and I'm ready to pick up and move out! It's five degrees outside, literally, and my toes have been frozen for a month straight. I cannot wait for the warm weather, I want to be laying in my hammock reading a book or even gardening, oh how I long to be sweating right now! Hmph!

Linking Up To: 

5 comments:

  1. You poor girl, 5 degrees?!? Yikes. I can't handle that type of winter anymore. I always enjoy reading about what is going on around the farm :) I'm sure those babies are adorable to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See! Five, not so close to warm at all!! I'm so glad you get a kick out of our crazy farm! For you, I'll continue them! Just wait until the summer! Tehn you'll really love my millions of posts ;)

      Delete
  2. I'm right there with ya on the frozen toes. But the cute calves warm the heart! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, yes those babies really do keep our hearts warm, but toes, they're gone. Might have to find some new ones come summer time!!

      Delete
  3. Those youngsters look comfy in their straw beds.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the most flattering form of letting me know you're reading along! In the blogging world these comments are bigger than "likes" and "retweets" and while you guys are all super awesome forgive me if it takes a couple days to get back to ya'll. I want to make sure I get back to each and every one of you! If you have a specific question by all means PLEASE email me (kelseyhomolka@hotmail.com). Plus, you'll get a faster response from me! Thankie again for reading along and don't forget to Keep On, Keepin Up!