Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Homemade Chicken Pot Pie



Who remembers eating those frozen Banquet Chicken Pot Pies as a kid? I can fondly remember them and quite frankly, fell in love with the turkey ones myself.  Now I'm not complaining about them, they were quick and easy and since most of the time we were too busy to sit down and eat meals together these worked great to make something for yourself.

Buut, you know me and my 2013 goals of trying to make more homemade meals and buy less, so of course I jumped on the new recipe I got from my cousin in her cookbook she made me for Christmas. Best part, the recipe was a success and WILL make it into my cookbook! The prep time was minimal and the cook time wasn't that long either. Although Travis hates peas he agreed that this was alright and he'd suffer through them because the rest tasted so good. Score!

Ingredients:
-24 oz frozen mixed veggies
-2 (10 3/4 oz) cans of cream of chicken soup
-3 chicken breasts (cooked and diced)
-2 thawed pic crusts

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Cook up chicken breasts and set aside to cool, once cooled cube into bit sized pieces
3. Prepare veggies as directed on package. Do not drain. I tweaked this part a little bit, at Wal-Mart the baggies were $.98 for 16 oz so I bought two, instead of adding 24 oz exactly I ended up using only 16 oz and we felt there were plenty of veggies. If you really want the 24 oz feel free to add it but rest assured that 16 oz will be plenty if you choose to get the smaller bag. Also, which cooking my veggies I added a ton of spices and butter. You can of course omit the butter but make sure to add your own spices otherwise it'll end up extremely bland!
4. Mix in cream of chicken soup and cooked chicken breasts. Here was another tweak, we used about 3 1/2 chicken breasts because we're big meat eaters. If you choose the 24 oz of veggies you might not need to add the extra chicken.
5. Heat mixture until bubbly, I put it on medium heat until just warm and mine turned out fine.
6. Unwrap pie crusts and roll one onto the bottom of the pie tin. If you'd like to cut a fun shape into the top one with a cookie cutter here's your chance. We didn't because I was too lazy to drag mine out. Lay the other pie crust aside to go on top.
7. Add chicken and veggie mixture into the pie pan.
8. Cover with other pie crust and make sure to seal edges so your mixture doesn't leak out! If you didn't use a cookie cutter shape on the top make sure to poke holes to allow air to get out while cooking. I did a cute little design with a knife.
9. Bake for 25 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

*Can also put mixture into a casserole dish and top with biscuits instead of using pie crust*

It turned out amazing like I've already said a million times. Next time we're going to try some roast chunks and add in cream of mushroom soup instead. Fingers crossed it turns out as yummy as this did!




Linking Up To:
PIN MEme SixSistersStuff.com The Mandatory Mooch

14 comments:

  1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE homemade chicken pot pie. My husband loves it too and even resorts to buying it at KFC all the time haha this looks much better though and i'll definitely have to try it! thanks for the recipe! happy to be following along now!

    michaelandwhitneyweekes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad we found each other! The recipe is easy I promise!

      Delete
  2. Lovely as always girl! I got all warm and fuzzy reading this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're such a sweetie! I love making you feel this way!!

      Delete
  3. This looks great! I would love to have you come and link up to my linky party going on right now. Hope to see you there. Thanks, Linda

    http://twosucculentsisters.blogspot.com/2013/01/hi-everyone-welcome-to-what-to-do.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll for sure come check it out and link up! :)

      Delete
  4. Yum! I've been wanting to try my own pot pie. The first time I tried it, it was not good. Maybe I'll have more success this time. Pinning this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for pinning! So happy you found so many wonderful recipes to "pin" from here :)

      Delete
  5. One of my all time favorite comfort foods! This one's going into the Farmgirl Friday Recipe Box on Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for spreading the word! I too have learned to love these even more now that I found a homemade recipe for them!

      Delete
  6. This is the same recipe that I use to make chicken pot pie. It's really the only time I will eat the crust. I love it drizzled with some honey. Haven't made it for a few years...just might have to again soon! Thanks for linking up at my Pin Me Linky Party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what a great idea! I'm debating trying some fruit pot pies, seems simple, just swap out the vegggies!

      Delete
  7. Hi! You have some great ideas! We found you from the Six Sisters. This Thursday January 24th (tomorrow) we are hosting our 1st Link Party!! We would love to have you link up with us!! Please share the news with your blogger friends. We would love to have them also!!! We have a fun blog co-hosting with us! Come on over!
    The Busy Bee's
    thebusybhive.blogspot.com

    Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe I linked up! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete

Comments are the most flattering form of letting me know you're reading along! In the blogging world these comments are bigger than "likes" and "retweets" and while you guys are all super awesome forgive me if it takes a couple days to get back to ya'll. I want to make sure I get back to each and every one of you! If you have a specific question by all means PLEASE email me (kelseyhomolka@hotmail.com). Plus, you'll get a faster response from me! Thankie again for reading along and don't forget to Keep On, Keepin Up!