Monday, February 4, 2013

Farming on The Four's

So much has happened, that I've got to update you with. I'll make it short and quick if possible so I don't bore you too much!! Here goes:


We've had a TON of fog here lately. What's the old wives-tale something about 3 days, 30 days or 3 weeks after fog you can expect a rain? Eh well whatever it is, I'm expecting some fabulous moisture which we can all hope (and pray) will help get us out of this drought we're in!! Here are some neat shots I took of the cattle on one of those foggy days. Can you guess whose mamma that one little babe belongs to? ;)



We went on a cattle drive this past weekend. It was a blast! One of Travis' friends had a cattle drive and we were lucky enough to be invited to come along and help out. They had to move about 600 head of cattle about 5 or 6 miles down the road. It was a big deal, closed a highway off and everything for it! There were about 13 people on horseback and several others that came and helped out. Here are some shots from it...



But, my all time fav shot of the day was this one. It's just too cool, I wish I would have a better lense for my camera. If anyone's willing to donate, the lense is around $400!!


Oh and did I mention that we've been having babies like crazy?! A set of twins was born on Saturday as well, they're super cute and thankfully mamma decided she wanted to keep both of them. No new bucket calves for us. Here's a snapshot of little miss Dolly and her friend Dwight, they're getting so big already. Dolly's standing in front, she always loves to be observant. Dwight, well he just lingers in the background and occasionally gets enough courage to come check me out. I love how Dolly is getting some brown in her, look at her little tips on her ears, they're brown. She's such a doll!!


On another note, as if you didn't already watch the Super Bowl and see the viral video this is my number one pick of commercials  not only did it send out the message and awareness of the hard work the farmers put into their career it also high lighted my fav brand of tractors (red), Mr. Paul Harvey, the FFA and also, it showed the world that WOMEN are involved in agriculture as well. Check it out!!


Linking Up To:
Down Home Blog Hop

12 comments:

  1. Ok, I'm a sucker for all your baby cow pics. So adorable! The picture from the road was very nice too. I love your farming posts. It makes me miss home :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I of course LOVE having you check them out!!! They're so fun, take the time to go home, it'll do you wonders ;)

      Delete
  2. Omg the twins are so cute! And a cattle drive...that would be something new for me! But pretty impressive it closed down a highway & everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, it was an absolutle blast!! I will admit, I kinda felt important shtuting down the roads ;)

      Delete
  3. That would have been an absolute amazing picture to capture had you had a better lens. It's too bad monopoly money doesn't do the job, only in our dreams. And, them baby cows, how stinkin' precious! I love reading about your life on the farm. All of the sweet animals, so precious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I finally found a SUPER CHEAP lense so I'm now up to a 55-200 and LOVE IT! I really want the 55-300 mm lense but I just cannot make myself splurge and get it quite yet. Someday, hopefully sooner than later, but I just don't wanna fork over $250 for something that doesn't get used daily :( Ugh, such hard decisions!!

      Delete
  4. Hey girl!!! I know you seen part of this earlier...

    I have nominated you for a Liebster Award! Go over to my blog to check out all the details!

    http://www.afrontporchview.com/2013/02/and-nominees-are.html

    {Whew, I finally got my post finished. It published before I got it finished!}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS AGAIN GIRL! Just finally getting around to commenting back and I'm so grateful for the honor of being on your list :) Keep on keeping up :)

      Delete
  5. That's a lot bigger cattle drive than we can have around here. I'm a big fan of Paul Harvey too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love me a PH voice over and poem :) Gotta stop by and check you out now of course :)

      Delete
  6. Found you through Tilly's Nest...LOVE that cute little calf picture. Love those fog pictures too. I have never seen a cattle drive...I can only imagine that it would be pretty amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so fun! I love finding new ways to take photos of the cows, they hate my mini shoots but they're just sooo pretty!!

      Delete

Comments are the most flattering form of letting me know you're reading along! In the blogging world these comments are bigger than "likes" and "retweets" and while you guys are all super awesome forgive me if it takes a couple days to get back to ya'll. I want to make sure I get back to each and every one of you! If you have a specific question by all means PLEASE email me (kelseyhomolka@hotmail.com). Plus, you'll get a faster response from me! Thankie again for reading along and don't forget to Keep On, Keepin Up!