Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Lent

Lent is a 40-day period of fasting and repentance in preparation for the celebration of EasterIt has been observed since apostolic times as a period of reflection and penitence for those who would be baptized on Easter, and a time for all sinners to repent. Lent was originally observed for six weeks excluding Sundays (36 days), but this was eventually extended to 40 days in order to parallel Christ's temptation in the wilderness. Lent begins on Ash Wednesday (six and a half weeks before Easter). In the early history of the church, strict fasting was observed throughout this period. One meal was allowed per day, in the evening, and meat, fish, eggs, and butter were forbidden.

So, the next question is, do you, as a Christian, celebrate or "give up" anything for lent season?
I've been throwing this around for awhile and I've come up with a couple of things I'd like to "give up" for lent. At youth group I did a huge lesson on lent and we dug a little deeper on what lent was all about. Upon finding out more info I've decided this year for lent I've "giving up" two things and I'm "taking up" two new things.

My first thing I've giving up is my Facebook app on my phone. No I cannot give up Facebook completely because I do a lot of communication with business things on there but I do need to give it up via mobile because it's consuming my daily life. It's too convenient to hear it go off and check it out. I'm always on it, the minute I get home from work I check it, during commercials of my tv shows I'm checking it, right before bed I'm checking it. If I'm forced to go to a computer to pull it up, that's a lot more work (and I likely won't take the time or effort to start up my computer). If something is that important that people need to get a hold of me they can get my phone number and go ahead and text or call me about it. Another reason to give it up, I can fill that void time doing housework, focusing on my boy and doing more fun projects to share with you guys! And the final reason I feel it's ok for me to be on there less, because I blog! Meaning I share my life through this place. If they care about me, they'll take the time to type in my blog addy. Instead of being forced to see me in their news feed they're really have to think about me and come find me.

The second thing I'd like to give up is my constant nit-picking of other people. I've challenged myself to not talk about others when friends bring up someone. Example: "Did you hear that Sarah put on Instagram a picture of her partying at this bar." or try this one "I don't like Tom because he's constantly talking crap about Sarah." Ya, I typically would respond with "Ya, did you see the other picture Sarah posted of her dancing ON the bar, the bar tender said he could have gotten in huge trouble for it." So, here's the point, I need to stop constantly contributing to that junk!!! Everyone has feelings and everyone deserves a chance. Keeping from being judgmental can really change not only my attitude but the attitudes of others about me.

And now for the positives!!

One challenging one I'm wanting to pick up is to do more core workouts. This is something that is really hard for me. I struggle with wanting to do these types of workouts because I've never had a solid core ever since back in 2005 when I was in a car accident. Long story short, I shattered some vertebrae and since then I lack using my core. I suppose you could call me lazy but I never get around to really strengthening them enough to help with my back issues, I always burn out half way through building them back up. I'm going to challenge myself to start doing at least 1-2 days for now and hopefully work myself up to more workouts later. I think this is a no-brainer and to most might be super easy but for me, I'd rather be out running than worrying about stupid core junk. But, that's where my biggest "issue spots" are so I need to hit them head-on, stop finding excuses and just start. Oh, and no those gorgeous abs are not mine, but I'd like to think that I could maybe someday take a picture like this and post for all of you to see! :)

Another fun one to pick up is reading the Bible every morning on the way to work. I know, you're thinking girl you're nuts, you can't read and drive. This my friends, is where audio books work wonders! There's a couple apps out there and one of them includes an audio Bible. I installed it and placed it where my fbook app once sat. Intentions are to listen to a couple versus daily on my way to and from work. Cool right?!

Ok, so I confessed my lent ideas now you tell me yours! Does anyone else have any fun things that are sucking their lives that they're willing to part with? I'd love to hear from you guys about what you're doing this lent season!!

PS- Is anyone else's blog jacked up?! On I.E. it looks fine but when I look at mine (and other peoples blogs) on Chrome it looks all sorts of jacked! HELP!

Linking Up To:

9 comments:

  1. I'm going to Lent service tonight at church, I'm excited to burn my bad habit (keeping it a secret) and not continue it after lent is over. I hope I can say goodbye to it forever starting tonight!
    I also like the fb app, I think I'll give that up too!
    Will we see you tonight at the bone fire?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha BONE FIRE?!?! Yes, indeed I'll be there, choir is singing and I believe we're supposed to bring "simple" foods that they would have ate in Jesus times. All the good stuff is taken so I'm bringing prune juice. I can't completely un-install the app so I just signed out of it instead. Stupid droids have a way of tricking us into keeping our social media handy ;) I'm excited for you to get rid of a bad habit too!! I think keeping them a secret is great, I would have kept mine but since I encouraged the youth group kiddos to tell me theirs I kinda had to blast mine too. See you tonight!!

      Delete
  2. Hey I just came across your blog and I love it!! What I'm giving up for lent is fast food. This will be hard becasue I work at a small pizza shop on the weekends and I'm always eating something there. But i'm also trying to eat heathier so hopefully this will start a good habit!! I also love your 101 in 1001 list. I started one in December on my blog it's been fun trying to do the things on it!

    Have a great day!!
    Erin
    http://diariesfromthedirtroad.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how fun! I'm going to have to come and check you out and find your list. Fast food would be a tough one for me too. We're constantly busy and needing to find something fast and easy! Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete
  3. You go girl! Lately I haven't been getting on Facebook but when I do I'm overwhelmed with how many people I'm "friends" with that I would never consider my friends so this morning I went through and deleted close to 200 people. It feels great to have the negative people keeping you down out of your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you've gotten rid of so many! I too just decided to start junking, most of these people rarely talk to me anyways! :)

      Delete
  4. I gave up FB last year and it was truly wonderful! I wanted to again this year, but am going to refrain, since having our baby boy and being so far from home, I don't think family and friends would like it very much. I just started putting my devotions in my car this week, funny you mentioned reading your Bible on your way to work! I like to be places at least 10 minutes early so I have found this the perfect time to spend in the Word and puts everything in the right perspective for me to have a good attitude on starting my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I decided to not give it up completely, but I do love the fact that it's not on my phone as much!!

      Delete
  5. Amanda, I like that you're always 10 minutes early! My license plate says "INAHRY" because I'm always late. I'm going to try to be 10 minutes early to any appointment every day in Lent. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the most flattering form of letting me know you're reading along! In the blogging world these comments are bigger than "likes" and "retweets" and while you guys are all super awesome forgive me if it takes a couple days to get back to ya'll. I want to make sure I get back to each and every one of you! If you have a specific question by all means PLEASE email me (kelseyhomolka@hotmail.com). Plus, you'll get a faster response from me! Thankie again for reading along and don't forget to Keep On, Keepin Up!