Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Happy National Ag Day!!


Well if you didn't get the memo this week is ag week! That means I have an excuse to look at silly pictures of farm animals and dream about all the fun I'll have on the farm this summer. Today in particular is National Ag Day! If you're working in the ag world whether it be on a farm, in an agribusiness job or just out cruising through the country side be sure to thank a fellow ag supporter. These people work hard day after day supporting your eating habits!! They deserve a day dedicated just to them! 

If you haven't already gathered from reading on my blog, farming is a major aspect in my life. I'm surrounded by it, I went to school for it and I dream of one day getting back into the ag world and perhaps will be lucky enough to stay home and work on the farm. Below are just a couple shots I've gathered of different random things that are related to our small town farm life. 


As you can tell farming surrounds me. Whether I'm playing in the snow, hanging out with my cousins, cutting alfalfa with the boy on date night, hanging out with my dad at a plowing bee or just cruising around grandpa's farm in the loader with my cousins I'm constantly surrounded with the love of agriculture and the land we farm on. 

I wanted to take time to show you this photo because it may just look like me and Trav sitting on an old tractor, but it's actually a tractor that was on my grandpa's farm sale a couple summers ago. The importance of this tractor is it's history and the future of me and Travis' relationship.

Back when this tractor was a new shiny state-of-the-art gem his grandpa owned it. He worked the ground, plowed up some fields, and farmed full time with it until  eventually, he decided to trade it in to upgrade and get a new tractor.  Around the same time, my grandpa was looking for a nice new-to-him used tractor. It ended up that the dealership his grandpa sold the tractor to is the exact same dealership my grandpa bought his tractor from. Travis' dad can remember that tractor from when he was young!

This tractor is a piece of OUR history!! We were hoping to buy it back but at the sale it was going for way too much. I know I'm a sentimental sap but how cool would it be to drive this tractor home on the potential wedding night in our future? Or even just to own to take fun family photos with? Seriously, the chances of both of our families owning this same tractor, working farm ground on both of our family farms. It's got to be a one in a billion chance right? The person who owns it took it home to realize that it didn't work to his standards and we're hoping that one day he'd consider selling it to us. He's offered to trade us if we can find one exactly like it but after scouring Craigslist and the Tractor House magazines we've come up empty handed for over two years now. (Note to readers: If you find a Case 830 diesel for sale please contact me!)


Here's something you can do today in honor of National Ag Day: Try finding someone in the ag world and thanking them by doing a random act of kindness! My act of kindness will include sending some snacks over to a local hardware store I'm thinking. Try something out for yourself! You'll be surprised at the expressions on their faces, all because you took the time to recognize them for doing such a great job :)

Linking Up To:

2 comments:

  1. Great post so many people do not realize how important farming is ( not sure where they think there food comes from, guess wal-mart lol)
    I’ve nominated you for the Liebster Award you can check it out at http://frugallivingonthewatkinsranch.blogspot.com/2013/03/i-was-nominated-for-liebster-award.html
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeeks! Thanks so much for the monination, I'll fill it out asap :)

      Delete

Comments are the most flattering form of letting me know you're reading along! In the blogging world these comments are bigger than "likes" and "retweets" and while you guys are all super awesome forgive me if it takes a couple days to get back to ya'll. I want to make sure I get back to each and every one of you! If you have a specific question by all means PLEASE email me (kelseyhomolka@hotmail.com). Plus, you'll get a faster response from me! Thankie again for reading along and don't forget to Keep On, Keepin Up!