Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Guest Post: Michelle from Life On The Horizon

Hello everyone! It's Tuesday, meaning it's time to meet a new guest blogger! My schedule had a couple open Tuesday's but now I'm back and have a fun new line-up of ladies for you to meet! Starting with a lady I've gotten to know and who has inspired me to keep my feet planted in the ag world and keep on promoting what I love. The farm! I've gotten to know Michelle after we discovered we have umpteen million things in common including our farm lovin, photography entrepreneurship and our attempts at cooking. She's a lot better in the kitchen than me I'll admit but I'll challenge her to a garden growing contest anytime! ;)

****************************************************************************************

It is literally the 12th hour and I've been so busy with work and my daughter's graduation stuff, that I have been clueless as to what to write. Kelsey has been so generous to let me be a guest here that I haven't wanted to disappoint her awesome readers. I came across Kelsey and her blog via Kasse at Rural Women Rock.  

My name is Michelle and I blog over at Life on the Horizon. I recently moved to a self-hosted site and write about life in general, faith, family, and photography. I work in higher education during the day and aspire to be a life coach and National Geographic worthy photographer in my spare time. Right now, all of my free time is dedicated to my daughter's high school graduation (which is in a month...eeek!).  

Kelsey and I have so many similarities minus the 20 year age difference! We both love our cameras, cooking, books and are small town girls. I was all ready to about cooking and sharing some recipes until I saw this tweet last night in my Twitter feed that Amber (@taylorfarmwife) posted: 
Watching Ilyana & Oprah talk about how women treat each other so poorly. We women should life each other up not knock each other down. 
This was the start of a Twitter conversation (you know, those back and forth 140 characters at a time tweets?) that resulted in some serious thought and discussion about being the change you want to see in the world. When I went to bed last night, my last thought was, " how can I use the resources I have to make a difference?" 

The great thing about social media now is the wonderful women to connect with via Twitter and blogging (I use those two the most and they are the most personable). I have some awesome women friends who, without asking, are always there with support, affection, prayer, and a good laugh. Funny part of it all? I have NEVER met these women in real life.  

As a woman, and a parent of a teenage girl, it is heart breaking to see the extent girls go to wreck havoc on each other. I was fortunate: I had a few mean girls in high school to deal with, but I was primarily surrounded by boys. Boys don't cause drama. They may be the root of the drama, but they don't cause it. As I entered into adulthood, I was careful to surround myself by women who were going to lift me up, not tear me down. Now, that's not to say I haven't had some adulthood girl drama, but I try to stay clear of it. I'd rather wrestle around in a bed of rattlesnakes than mess with scorned, bitter, jealous, pissed off women! 

Amber and I discussed last night how as women, we should always help each other, not tear each other down. Why is it that it takes until we are well into adulthood to get this? Unfortunately, not everyone does. More heartbreaking is explaining to young women who are often victims of the 'mean girls' as to WHY they are being bullied.   

I know that we may not be able to change the mean girl mentality, but we can help those young women who are willing to be the difference they want to see in the world. We can equip them with knowledge, grace under fire, and stamina to withstand such attacks. We can also model to young women we come into contact with on what it means to be kind, compassionate, understanding, and forgiving. If being a mean girl is a learned behavior, then why can't we create a movement of 'nice girls'? 

There is a passage in Proverbs (4:23) that I recite to myself: " Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life." Being surrounded by women who stand by your side, lift you up, and support all you do definitely aid in guarding your heart against the bitterness that can build up when constantly attacked by women who are looking to tear you down.  

This is definitely not the post I had originally planned on sharing, but I'm so thankful for the community I have built over my lifetime, but also the new community I am creating by meeting women like Kelsey and Kacce: they are kind and supportive and genuine and definitely making a difference in the world and the women who follow them.  

My final thought for the day: " big changes start with small, deliberate acts. No movement towards positive change is ever too small."  - Michelle A. Farley 

Some snapshots of the awesome women in my life: 

252962_652868719181_3884509_n230648_640631457751_4060359_n
262268_10150226207036608_5100075_n 429775_3548021663165_654106464_n

4162_534077742251_6516173_n551780_10150971263570861_2136659763_n

223273_641946088221_7874338_n19352_551601070361_7618456_n542372_882819725521_1346066121_n227787_641946188021_843364_n


****************************************************************************************

And there you go! She's fun isn't she? I love the fact that she is standing up and showing others how important it is to be strong and stop bullying. I feel that as women in the blogging community we should all unite and encourage each other. Prove that being nice isn't as hard as the social media world makes us think it is.

So, as an extra special challenge I encourage you to go out of your way and comment on at least FIVE blogs, they don't have to be blogs you follow, in fact, go to my side bar and check out the ladies that sponsor my blog if you want to surprise them. Just send some words of encouragement to people letting them know that they're strong, independent  encouraging ladies and you're proud of them for putting their stories out there for us to read about. Some stories are hard to write so they deserve a little credit!!

****************************************************************************************

Also, don't forget if you're interested in doing a guest post get a hold of me (kelseyhomolka@hotmail.com). We'll figure out a date that works or here's what the schedule looks like so far:

May 7th- Heather Ann from Every Girl Like Me
May 14th- Chrissy from Prayers & Pearls
May 21st- Laura from Bennett Adopt
May 28th- Open
June 4th- Open
June 11th- Open

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for letting me post here! Let me know when you head to north Texas again - I'll make you the best buttermilk pie you've ever had, and you can give me some much needed gardening tips! Hugs to you my friend!

    ~ Michelle
    http://lifeonthehorizn.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. There should be a link up for this post, I'd love to write my thoughts on this! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the most flattering form of letting me know you're reading along! In the blogging world these comments are bigger than "likes" and "retweets" and while you guys are all super awesome forgive me if it takes a couple days to get back to ya'll. I want to make sure I get back to each and every one of you! If you have a specific question by all means PLEASE email me (kelseyhomolka@hotmail.com). Plus, you'll get a faster response from me! Thankie again for reading along and don't forget to Keep On, Keepin Up!