Monday, May 6, 2013

The Good Life: 5 Things You Love About Your State (Link-Up #3)

So here we are again on a Monday, and we're gearing up to ask you to link-up again. I love finding new things about each and every one of you so please keep the links a comin! We're going to have some changes coming up this next week. Instead of linking up on Monday, we're moving the link-up to opening up on Wednesday, that way we give you guys some time to recover from the weekend. ;) Then we'll keep it open until Saturday's. Hopefully this will work better with some of you!!

****************************************************************************************************




****************************************************************************************************

My top five things I love about Nebraska would have to include the following:

#1- Agriculture. We're obviously huge into this, heck part of our household income is based off of agriculture and he's our breadwinner so you bet your bottom this ranks number uno on my list of loves about Nebraska. But here's a fun fact, did you know that one our of every four jobs in Nebraska is related to agriculture? So, although you may be working somewhere other than the farm, I bet your job has to do with ag. 

#2- Neighbors & Strangers. Yes, our state has awesome kind and compassionate people in it. I have on numerous occasions had complete strangers walk up to me and offer a helping hand to help carry groceries to my vehicle. I'm not scared to leave my vehicle parked at home unlocked. I'm always willing to hold someone's baby while they're digging for something in their purse and the mom's (normally) don't look at me like I'm crazy. I've been known to meet people who know a friend or relative in pretty much any situation and I've even met some distant relations while being 200 miles away from home. People are kind and honest and the neighbors are the first ones to come over and pick up after a natural disaster tears apart your town. 

#3- Football. I'm not one of those crazy fans that is obsessed with football but I do have a lot of friends who are. I haven't experienced a football game in probably a good fifteen years and usually football season is right smack dab in the middle of our harvest season so we rarely have a Saturday off to watch it but we try and listen in on the radio whenever possible. The fans are super courteous to our rivals, heck we invite them to the bar to party with us afterwards and here is an article about how we're the most loyal football fans. Told ya! To top it off, everyone loves everyone. Don't believe me? Check out this clip of a little boy that has brain cancer, he was encouraged to participate in our University football scrimmage. Tear jerker right there....



#4- Small town talk. This is maybe one of my favorites only because it's awesome to have someone tell you that you remind them of your grandpa's spunky attitude. Or you have your grandma's heart of gold. I love hearing that I've got my dad's personality and that my mom has wonderful creations and talent. The fact that everyone knows everyone is a blessing that can be a curse if your the trouble maker of the town. Luckily for me, I've grown out of my trouble making days and have moved on to helping and giving in my community. My town has given me so much that it's only fair to repay the favor and give back!!

#5- The bi-polar weather. Yes, this is on my list. Not in the top ranks but I'm so thankful that we do get the crazy weather. It reminds me that I can do many activities that places like Florida or Alaska can't do. I can snowboard and car hood surf in the winter and then turn around and host a beach party themed party in the summer. I'm so grateful that we can do all these things. It's the in-between seasons that I really dislike.

And, just for fun, I wanted to include some Nebraska fun facts for you followers who aren't from Nebraska.
  • Nebraska was once called "The Great America Dessert"
  • The Niobrara is one of the top canoeing rivers in the country, it has more than 90 waterfalls
  • The great plains is a large, mostly flat area of grassland prairie in the center of the continent
  • The Unicameral is the name of the only state legislature with only one branch. All other states have two branches, usually a senate and a house of representatives. The Unicameral is also different in that when candidates run for office, they do not run on a certain party's ticket
  • Johnny Carson grew up in Norfolk, NE
  • Kool-Aid was invented in 1927 in Hastings Nebraska and every year they have Kool-Aid days
  • In Waterloo barbers are prevented from eating onions from 7 am to 7 pm
  • It is illegal to go whale fishing in Nebraska
  • The 911 system of emergency communications, now used nationwide, was developed and first used in Lincoln, NE
So, there it is. Some fun facts, some weird facts and some plain stupid facts.

****************************************************************************************************

Rules:
1. Follow the hosts:
Kelsey from Keeping Up With Kelsey
AND
Suzi from Chores & Chandeliers 
2. Write a post pertaining to this weeks "theme"
3. Link-Up the LINK (not your whole blog)
4. Hop around and check out other's posts
5. Add the button so other's know you're linking up with us!

****************************************************************************************************

Next Week's Theme:

Blog Name Meaning -Give us more deets on why or how you went about naming your little piece of blog-land. Any fun reasons or did it stem from a random nickname you had in high school!?

3 comments:

  1. Haha I like the random facts, definitely did not know those things.

    As far as for #3, from an Iowa Hawkeyes football fan I just have to say: "know why all the trees in Iowa lean to the west? Because Nebraska sucks." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. #2...when wylie and i flew out of grand island we were treated like royalty by the airport people and the passengers...i just kept thinking, this why i love being from ne!! And yay for hopefully living a couple miles from the niobrara when we move back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the bipolar weather - for some reason, I feel like we're going to get snow again, I just don't think winter is over with yet.

    I grew up in the city but I love small town bars! hello cheap beer!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the most flattering form of letting me know you're reading along! In the blogging world these comments are bigger than "likes" and "retweets" and while you guys are all super awesome forgive me if it takes a couple days to get back to ya'll. I want to make sure I get back to each and every one of you! If you have a specific question by all means PLEASE email me (kelseyhomolka@hotmail.com). Plus, you'll get a faster response from me! Thankie again for reading along and don't forget to Keep On, Keepin Up!