Friday, June 28, 2013

Texas Trip Part #1


As most of you already know Travis and I took a trip down to Texas at the beginning of March. Another thing that most of you know is that I'm a slacker and I tend to forget things often. Add those two things together and you get for someone who doesn't blog about events until a month or three after it happened.

So here I am, finally getting around to posting a couple posts about our vacation. First stop on the thirteen hour drive was in Oklahoma City at the Oklahoma City Memorial Museum. This is the location of the bombing that happened in 1995 that killed over 168 people when Timothy McVeigh and his accomplice blew up the Murrah Federal Building. 

In 1995 I was only about six years old so to be honest I really don't remember a whole heck of a lot. I remember hearing about it, but at that age I don't think you really realize exactly what a bombing is. I do remember in the years to come hearing about McVeigh's court hearings and death sentence. 

This place was amazing to say the least! When we first walked up to the huge memorial I noticed a couple things, one included was the chain link fence of items. These were items that people from all over the world have left behind to pay their respects to those who lost their lives on that day. It was very interesting to see all the tiny items that children, parents and people who didn't even know anyone personally left. There were tiny notes, some personal items, necklaces, ribbons, bracelets and I saw a pacifier in there among other personal items. Quite moving.

Then we walked into the museum. It was worth the entry fee, I don't remember off the top of my head, but I want to say it was around $24 for the two of us. 

The exhibits were set up as "chapters" so it was kind of a walk-through of what started out as a day in the life in Oklahoma City, nothing major, the city streets buzzing, the people doing their normal thing. After you got the feel of what it was like you went into a room where you sat down and listened in on a regular meeting that morning of the bombing on April 19th. Next thing you know there's a loud crash and you hear sheer panic. This is to make you think you're confused and you do not know what's going on. I freaked out a little bit and then to show you the CNN shows with live footage from that day just puts your senses on high making you want to know what's all happening. 

Then they send you onto the "wreckage zone" which shows actual structures that were in the building, scraps of papers, clothing, personal items, kids' toys, watches, filing cabinets with shreds of metal in them. They show you everything that was recovered from the explosion. They try to make it look as realistic as possible with real ruble around, it feels as if you're walking through the explosion site and you're just in awe at how much destruction really has happened. At this point you really aren't sure if it's a terrorist attack, who did it, why they did it and so many other unanswered questions are rushing through your brain.

If that's not earth shattering then they take you through an area that has live media footage showing people getting pulled out. There were interviews with those who survived the event, they had then and now footage. Showing them the day of the bombing and where they're at now. The part that really hurt me was watching the millions of helpers carrying out limp bodies. You couldn't help but imagine how those survivors felt knowing they've survived one of the worst bombings in the US.

There is a section dedicated to how they went about creating the bomb, the court hearings and how they found the men responsible for this act of hatred. I was amazed how they traced it all back to them but it just goes to show that you cannot pull off something without justice prevailing. I'm proud to say that I live in America and those men were sentenced for what they did. Punishment is not a way to get even but it's a way to give the families who will forever miss their loved ones closure. It's a way to make sure these men do not re-create such horrible crimes.

If you want more on the actual bombing, the museum or anything related to Oklahoma City Memorial by all means go and visit their website or better yet, visit the memorial. I cannot put into words the emotional toll this bad boy took on me. It really takes it to a whole other level for me. I'm a realist, to me, the Oklahoma City bombing didn't really mean much, but seeing it in person. Seeing the actual "facts" really made me realize that millions of people were affected. That several families were torn apart. Mommies lost babies, babies lost daddies and mommies. It's tough. Life sucks. And terrorists are disgusting.  (I just finished this post up right after the Boston bombing some I'm still emotional about bombings)






3 comments:

  1. This is a great post Kelsey!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was 9 and living in Oklahoma at the time. Where I was and what I was doing will be forever etched in my brain when I found out about the bombing. I still have a magazine from school about that day! Craziness. I'd love to visit this memorial and am so glad you shared it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post! I would love to visit someday!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the most flattering form of letting me know you're reading along! In the blogging world these comments are bigger than "likes" and "retweets" and while you guys are all super awesome forgive me if it takes a couple days to get back to ya'll. I want to make sure I get back to each and every one of you! If you have a specific question by all means PLEASE email me (kelseyhomolka@hotmail.com). Plus, you'll get a faster response from me! Thankie again for reading along and don't forget to Keep On, Keepin Up!