Thursday, October 3, 2013

Autumn Book Challenge


I'm totally new to this type of link-up but I think it'll be fun! What this challenge consists of is you reading books and then counting each completed book on a points system. There's a max of 200 points to be earned. Then, you link up at the end of the challenge to see how you did! I enjoy reading and I need to make more time for me to relax and take my mind off of my crazy schedule. This is pretty exciting and I hope some of you choose to join in too! I'll try to keep progress of how I'm doing on it but feel free to force me to be accountable as well. 

________________________________________________________________________________________________

#1- Read a book that does not have "the", "a", or "an" in the title (5 points)
Letting Go Of Perfect by Angie Spiegel 208 pages

#2- Read a book that has been featured in Oprah's Book Club (10 points)
Second Wind by Cami Ostman 304 pages

#3- Read a book that takes place in the state where you currently live (10 points)
Night of the Twisters by Ivy Ruckman 160 pages

#4- Read an epistolary novel. (a book written in letters, emails, diaries or other docs) (15 points)
Feeling Sorry For Celia by Jaclyn Moriarty 288 pages


#5- Read a book first published in 2013 (15 points)
Grounded: A Novel by Dave & Neta Jackson 320 pages

#6- Read a book with something spooky in the title. (15 points)
Beautiful Disaster: A Novel by Jamie McGuire 432 pages

#7- Read a book with "air", "water", "earth", or "fire" in the title (20 points)
Christianity Lite: Stop Drinking A Watered Down Gospel by Glen Berteau 240 pages

#8- Read a book on which a television series has been based (20 points)
Gossip Girl by Cecily von Ziegesar 224 pages


#9- Read a fiction book that has someone's first and last name in the title (25 points)
How Dolly Parton Saved My Life: A Novel of the Jelly Jar Sisterhood by Charlotte Connors 352 pages

#10- Read two books by the same author (30 points)
Stumbling Into Grace: Confessions of a Sometimes Spiritually Clumsy Woman by Lisa Harper 224 pages
A Perfect Mess: Why You Don't Have To Worry About Being Good Enough for God by Lisa Harper 224 pages
#11- Read a fiction and a nonfiction book about the same topic (35 points)
Auschwitz: A Doctor's Eyewitness Account by Miklos Kremer 240 pages (Non-Fiction)
The Druggist of Auschwitz: A Documentary Novel by Dieter Schlesak 384 pages (Fiction)

So, what do you think? If I'm counting right I'll be reading at minimum 2,600 pages. That's a lot of reading by the end of the year! Over 860 pages a month. Meh, I'm up for it! My goal is to finish at least HALF my list! Yes, I'm breaking all my own rules because I know realistically I won't be able to finish this so I'm shooting to finish up 6 of the 13 books I've added to the list. Besides, this will encourage me to read outside of my genre and maybe I'll learn to love new things! Heck, maybe I'll luck out and finish more books because of it! :)
________________________________________________________________________________________________
*UPDATE* I'm going to keep a "current" list of what's read so you can look back and see how I'm doing!
Letting Go Of Perfect by Angie Spiegel (Finished Oct 25)
Second Wind by Cami Ostman (Finished Dec 2nd)
Night of the Twisters by Ivy Ruckman
Feeling Sorry For Celia by Jaclyn Moriarty
Grounded: A Novel by Dave & Neta Jackson (Finished Oct 17)
Beautiful Disaster: A Novel by Jamie McGuire (Finished Nov 11th)
Christianity Lite: Stop Drinking A Watered Down Gospel by Glen Berteau
Gossip Girl by Cecily von Ziegesar
How Dolly Parton Saved My Life: A Novel of the Jelly Jar Sisterhood (Finished Nov 5)
Stumbling Into Grace: Confessions of a Sometimes Spiritually Clumsy Woman by Lisa Harper
A Perfect Mess: Why You Don't Have To Worry About Being Good Enough for God by Lisa Harper
Auschwitz: A Doctor's Eyewitness Account by Miklos Kremer (Finished Nov 19th)
The Druggist of Auschwitz: A Documentary Novel by Dieter Schlesak

________________________________________________________________________________________________

7 comments:

  1. You can do it!!! I need to start reading more again but I am sticking with running right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT idea! I think it'd be a fun one to "link-up" to as well, but I'm not sure my points would be very high. I'll cheer you on though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read Auschwitz! It is an amazing accounting of the holocaust. I want to read "The Druggist" too. The holocaust is my favorite era to read about because I feel like we can learn from what happened, so it doesn't get repeated. I have always been fascinated about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you decided to participate. I didn't think about a Christian book for the fire, air, Earth, water one. I'm having a hard time with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! I want to join!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are some great book covers in here! I especially like Grounded and The Druggist of Auschwitz (even though they are completely different!). Thanks for joining my challenge and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for checking in for the final scoreboard! See you at the summer challenge? :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the most flattering form of letting me know you're reading along! In the blogging world these comments are bigger than "likes" and "retweets" and while you guys are all super awesome forgive me if it takes a couple days to get back to ya'll. I want to make sure I get back to each and every one of you! If you have a specific question by all means PLEASE email me (kelseyhomolka@hotmail.com). Plus, you'll get a faster response from me! Thankie again for reading along and don't forget to Keep On, Keepin Up!